Sunday, August 19, 2012

Book Review - Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper

The Nobel Peace Prize-winning writer Anatole France once penned, "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."  Having a number of pets in my home, I always feel blessed; as if a little peace of heaven surrounds me.  Just the other day, I had learned of the story of Joey, the pit bull puppy that was placed in a plastic bag and thrown from a moving vehicle somewhere along the Sagtikos Parkway.  Animal lovers and decent human beings everywhere were immediately outraged. A reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible is being offered as Suffolk County Police look to bring justice for Joey.

For every horrible story we hear regarding animal cruelty, there are wonderful people that offer loving homes and rescue strays every day.  Some of these pets are in wonderful health, while others are plagued with disease or injury.  Enter Homer, a small kitten with a raging infection that threatened his eyes.  I came across this wonderful book on a recent trip to my local bookstore.

Book cover image from www.gwencooper.com
Ms. Cooper tells a wonderful tale about how Homer came into her life and, dare I say, changed her perspective on things, especially love and life.  We follow Homer's life from kittenhood to adult cat, from Florida to New York, after which I felt so connected to him.  I simply could not put the book down, even when I relived the horrible tragedy of 9/11 from Ms. Cooper's perspective.

Overall rating: Booyah!  I highly recommend reading this memoir, regardless of whether or not you have a pet.  It is very inspirational and uplifting and I thank Ms. Cooper for sharing Homer with the world.  In having read Homer's story, I reminisced on the lives of all the pets that have shared my life and have a deeper, more profound perspective on adversity, or, at least, on how it is perceived.  Please note that 10% of the author's domestic royalties are being donated to organizations focusing on abused, abandoned and disabled animals.  One such organization is the Blind Cat Rescue and Sanctuary, Inc.

"Animals are such agreeable friends -- they ask no questions; they pass no criticisms." - George Eliot

No comments:

Post a Comment