Friday, August 3, 2012

Book Review - Unsaid by Neil Abramson

I have had pets all my life and my earliest recollection of true grief and loss was when our beloved German Shepherd, Dodge, passed away when I was eight years old.  Dodge was a lovely companion and rather intelligent.  She used to accompany my cousin and me to the bus stop every morning and then make her way back home once we safely boarded the bus.


When Dodge passed away, my grandmother told me that pets were God's angels, sent here to watch over us and then, when their assignment runs out, they return home to give God a report on how we are doing.  That explanation has stayed with me all my life.  Since Dodge's passing, I and my family have been blessed with many "angels" with which to share life's many milestones.  Those of us that have been fortunate enough to have pets in our lives, can also attest to the special bond that forms between mankind and animals.  In "Unsaid," Neil Abramson writes about this bond in the unique voice of Helena, a recently deceased veterinarian, who observes the happenings of her husband, David and those she left behind, both human and not (www.neilabramsonauthor.com).


Picture from Author's Website
Overall rating: Booyah!  The novel is a wonderful read and a poignant love story.  I could not put it down, nor could I stop showering my pets with affection after finishing it (as if I needed an excuse).


A portion of the author proceeds from the book are being forwarded to Finally Home, a not-for-profit animal sanctuary founded by Mr. Abramson (www.finallyhomeanimalsanctuary.org).

No comments:

Post a Comment